Boasting a prestigious portfolio of luxury properties across Botswana, Ker & Downey Botswana is synonymous with time honoured, authentic safari and wildlife experiences. Building on their reputation for exceptional family safari, their specialist safari programme for young people, Young Explorers, can now be booked as an add on to any 2023 safari on the Ker & Downey Botswana circuit, offering families an intimate and sustainable safari, full of conservation-themed activities which will both inspire and inform young and old alike.
· This uniquely crafted safari programme offers families the opportunity to discover the wonders of the African bush and become familiar with a variety of exciting bush activities.
· Emphasis is placed on learning how to track game both on foot and in a safari vehicle as well as learning a range of bush skills such as identifying a wide range of birds; poling a Mokoro; shooting an air rifle at tin cans; recognising different animal spoor; fishing; starting a fire from nothing more than two sticks.
· The experience can be tailored to families with children as young as seven.
· Each family has the use of a dedicated professional guide who is trained and talented in their ability to engage and communicate with the youngest audiences, and a dedicated Mokoro guide.
· Activities are designed to be both educational and inspiring. Upon completion, children receive a Young Explorers certificate, t-shirt, and cap.
Specialist Family Guide, Barobi “Robby” Garenamotse comments on why this tailored approach is so beneficial: “Guiding children on safari is so different from guiding adults. You always need to watch their energy levels, watch what they are doing; be in control and be patient – all with a great sense of humour! The best way to engage children is to make anything that is educational so much fun that they don't realise that they are learning. I encourage the kids to use all their senses, all the time.”
Fran Hird, MD of Ker & Downey Botswana, commented: “By extending Young Explorers beyond the bush camp, Footsteps, where it originated, our younger guests have the opportunity to be inspired about the bush in different landscapes and ecosystems. Furthermore families have the choice of our different styles of accommodation - from our exclusive use Shinde Enclave, to our luxury properties, and to our rustic explorer camp, Footsteps – from which to base themselves to enjoy the exceptional, consistent guiding especially tailored to their unique family needs and interests.”