Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce this week began a new chapter in its 210-year history by moving into new premises at 54 Hagley Road in Edgbaston.
Earlier this year, the GBCC announced plans to relocate to the new office space, a stone’s throw from Chamber House which has been home since 1960 to the region’s largest and longest-running business membership organisation. The new premises were identified with support from commercial property agents Avison Young and followed close engagement with the GBCC’s board, employees and committee members.
A fit-out of the Chamber’s office – located on the seventh floor - has been completed by Rhino Interiors Group, while relocation experts Restore Harrow Green have assisted with the move. Project management support was provided by global real estate firm Colliers International and legal advice by Squire Patton Boggs.
The Chamber has also donated material from its archives, dating back to 1813, to the Birmingham and Midland Institute. The Chamber team began operating from 54 Hagley Road this week (w/c 13 November).
The new location provides a contemporary space with a focus on collaboration and a flexible ‘town hall’ style area capable of hosting small in-house events. Henrietta Brealey (pictured), chief executive of the GBCC, said: “We are delighted to officially open our new HQ.
“The Chamber is here to unleash the potential of Greater Birmingham’s businesses, and our new facilities have been designed with that aim in mind. We have been proud to work in partnership with our members every step of the way.
“This move marks a key milestone in a year of significant change for the Chamber, that’s seen major steps in our digital transformation programme and brand repositioning alongside expansion of our work to support and champion local businesses. It’s also our 210th year in business, for business.
“We look forward to celebrating many more in our new home.” The GBCC, established in 1813, moved to Chamber House in 1960 from the New Street headquarters it had occupied since 1916.
The offices were formally opened by the then paymaster general Lord Hills and a new reception area was opened by Prime Minister John Major in 1996. The Chamber’s new address is 7th Floor West Wing, 54 Hagley Road, Birmingham, B16 8PE.
Greg Lowson, chairman of the GBCC, said: “The move to new premises at 54 Hagley Road marks an exciting new chapter for the Chamber and means we can continue to build on the widespread support we’ve been able to provide for businesses of all types and sizes across the region.
“Our Chamber has changed and modernised a great deal in recent years and our new facilities will enable us to carry on evolving as a dynamic and innovative organisation that is always striving to deliver the best possible support for our members and the business community as a whole.” The GBCC has nearly 2,500 member companies, ranging from start-ups to multinational corporations.
It supports businesses in building their profile and networks, finding opportunities and learning from best practice locally, and trading internationally. It acts as the voice of local businesses, working in partnership with stakeholders across the region to make Greater Birmingham the best possible place to work and do business.